Lavish Mayan Artistry On Half Moon Bay Beach
An amazing two-bedroom, two-bath 2nd floor corner on Half Moon Bay, Decorated with the best of Mayan arts and crafts
Experience the best of the Mayan Riviera here: the snorkeling, the food (from restaurants or your own kitchen), the local renowned craftsmanship, and of course the sunset views, all in a quiet tropical beachfront setting.
Cen Balam’s owners love this part of the world and have traveled throughout Latin America collecting amazing, one-of-a-kind Latin American artwork. This artwork adorns the condo and is it’s focal point. Exotic object d’art include Mayan wood carvings, oil paintings of local flora and fauna, and Guatamalen weavings. All beautifully displayed.
With the floor to ceiling windows and patio on the beach side, and the multiple patios on the courtyard side, panoramic views abound. White sand and the turquoise waters of the bay, and sea beyond, amazing garden views of flora and fauna, and the jungle beyond dominate.
Inside, each of the two bedrooms has a very comfortable king- size bed, with quality linens and wonderful detail, and each has its own private patio. The two accompanying bathrooms are well equipped, as is the kitchen, indoor dining area, living area, and outdoor dining area on the beach side patio. There is even a mini-office for that work day or e-mail!
Everything is provided for a stress free vacation: Free parking, Wifi, daily maid service (except on Sunday), unlimited bottled water delivered to the unit, full air conditioning, satellite TV, all linens, including beach towels, and so much more!
Cen Balam (Cave of the Jaguar) is a private second home only recently become available as a vacation rental. The owners and guests love the second-floor, corner location, with its feeling of increased privacy and security and its views over Half-Moon Bay and the Caribbean beyond.
The condo’s design and location provides wonderful flow-through sea breezes. There is also A/C throughout, and ceiling fans in all rooms, including the open-air beach front beach front patio.
Cen Balam is also one of the few units in the area that have the finest in upgraded doors and windows, providing protection from the elements: heat and storms, and of course, increased security.
The kitchen, with its custom made window shade has been remodeled, with additional cabinets and new appliances while still retaining the local tropical rustic character. It is well stocked with Fiesta Ware dishes, and green, hand-blown Mexican glassware, as well as matching cutlery. Enjoy playing in this wonderful kitchen surrounded by views of Half Moon Bay.
The dining area boasts a large supply of table linens, many of which are local or Guatemalan handicrafts, as are the throw-cushions and bed scarves in the bedrooms.
Both bedrooms can be opened to the breeze, featuring Mexican and/or Maya décor, including framed antique prints of Frederick Catherwood’s original drawings of Maya ruins. The beds have embroidered Guatemalan throw-cushions and hand-made bed scarves and both bedrooms have their own private patios, with a table and chairs, ensuring a peaceful place for that early morning cup of coffee, as well as a shady place to relax. These patios overlook the beautiful gardens surrounding the swimming pool and the jungle beyond.
All the rooms are decorated with original Mexican or Maya art. Many of the wood carvings are by Efrain Cetz, acknowledged as one of the finest Maya craftsmen practicing today. His large, bas-relief, cedar carving of a Maya Death Canoe overlooking the dining area was based on an original design carved on a piece of ancient bone found at the Maya site of Tikal in Guatemala.
The pieces in Cen Balam represent commissions by the owners, but carvings by Efrain Cetz (aka “Chino”) are now available in Lamanai (a not-to-be missed shop on the beach, outside the Lol Ha Restaurant Palapa). Many of the paintings in Cen Balam are by Isabel Schober, a local resident and artist.
A permanent library on Maya art and history (books are clearly marked) is available for guests’ use while in Cen Balam. There are also various paper back novels for relaxing on the beach (“take one if you need to; leave one if you can”). An assortment of games is present in the condo, and a television (with Netflix) has been installed for the convenience of guests.
The owners first saw Akumal in 1974, on a circumnavigation of the Yucatan Peninsula, and they have loved it ever since.. They now feel blessed to have a pied-a-terre there and invite you to experience it. They wish you an enjoyable vacation and hope you come to love Akumal and Cen Balam as much as they do.
- 2nd Floor Corner Condo Unit
- Open Plan Kitchen and Living
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
- Excellent Private WIFI via FIBER
- Daily Maid Service (Monday to Saturday)
- Fully Air Conditioned
- Unlimited Bottled Water
- Decorative Security Iron Door and Screens
- Storm and Safety Windows & Doors
- Ceiling Fans in All Rooms
- Multiple Safety features, including : Gas Detector, Fire Extinguisher, etc.
- Beach Novels Trade Library
- Board Games and Cards
- CD and DVD Player
- Reference Library of Mayan Books
- SMART Internet TV w/ ROKU
Bed & Bath
- Comfortable King Size Beds in Each Bedroom
- Living Room Sofa Makes into Comfortable Twin Bed
- En-Suite Master Bathroom
- All Bed & Bath Linens are Provided
- Room Darkening Blinds and Curtains
- Bedside Reading Lighting
- Large Capacity Safe for Personal Items
- Bath Products
- Beach Towels
- Hair Dryer
- All Standard Kitchen Appliances: Toaster, Coffee Maker, Blender, etc
- Full Size Refrigerator
- Stove with Oven
- Colorful Coordinating Dinnerware
- High Quality Kitchenware: Knives, Utensils, Bowls, Pots/Pans, etc
Great Beachside and Garden Side Patios
- Large Beachside Patio with Seating and Dining
- Pool & Garden Side Porch w/ Lounge Chairs
- Water Sports Gear (will vary based on use)
- Fully Licensed and Permitted, meeting all safety requirements
- Dedicated On-Site Management
Our Private Resort
Our Repeat Guest Liken Us to a Private Resort!
- Large Private Seaweed Free Beach
- Out the Door Reef Snorkeling on Half Moon Bay
- Largest Pool in Akumal with a Lap Lane and Sunning Ledge
- Dedicated On-Site Security
- Private Beach Palapas, Loungers/Chairs
- Both Sun and Shade Seating Areas around Pool and Gardens
- Private Tropical Gardens w/ Blooming Tropicals & 25+ Orchid Species
- Beach Shower
- On-Site Free Parking
- Dedicated On-Site Management